Sunday, September 8, 2013

Banana-Strawberry Waffles


I don't know what it is about Sundays, but I almost always wake up wanting pancakes or waffles. ESPECIALLY now that I'm pregnant, if I get something in my mind that I want to eat, I just gotta have it. Today, it was waffles. Thick, fluffy, Belgian waffles, with fresh banana and strawberry. Numnumnum. ;-)

This recipe is simple and easy to throw together on a lazy weekend morning.

Banana-Strawberry Waffles
Vegan, serves 2 (makes 4 thick waffles, enough to fill waffle-iron once)
Recipe adapted from Veganomicon's Banana-Walnut Waffles
Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp almond or soy milk (my prefernce is Almond Dream or Silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • 1 tsp apple-cider vinegar
  • 1 medium banana, ripe
  • 1.5 Tbsp canola oil
  • 1.5 Tbsp maple or brown rice syrup (I used 1 Tbsp maple and 1/2 brown rice, just bc I had it)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup + 2Tbsp flour (I used AP; you could try a mix of up to 1/2 AP and spelt or whole wheat)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • A few dashes of cinnamon and nutmeg
  • 1/4-1/2 cup chopped strawberries
Steps:
  1. Preheat your waffle iron
  2. Whisk together milk, vinegar and water and set aside to curdle.
  3. In separate medium-size bowl, mash banana well. Add in oil, syrup, extract and mix, followed by the milk mixture. 
  4. Next, add in flour, powders, spices, and salt, stirring with a fork to combine. Fold in strawberries last.
  5. Spray your waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and spread the batter into the waffle iron.
  6. Serve hot with real maple syrup!

I'm calling these banana-strawberry rather than strawberry-banana, bc they are heavier on the banana flavor. You could always add in more strawberries (1/2 cup or more) to get more berry flavor, or try using peaches, blueberries, or more spices to vary this recipe up. I love how much flavor and sweetness these already have, though- like a warm loaf of banana bread, in waffle form.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments-drop me a line if you're stopping by!